Sunday, March 27, 2016

Why switch from OD&D to Swords and Wizardry?

Firstly, play what you like.

I like OD&D. It has a feel that few other games have. It literally says in the text make this game yours. The whole DIY attitude is what this hobby is all about - add what you like, create what you like, and stir. According to Dave and Gary - and a few others  - there really is no wrong way to play. So, why switch?

Swords & Wizardry has the above elements plus one deal breaking element to me. In the quest for new players, I have begun running a game at our FLGS, Mad Bros. The gaming scene has changed up a bit since when I was a much younger fellow, specifically back in the 80s, when 2nd Edition AD&D was THE game to play ... (we, as in our gaming group, staunchly played 1st Edition and Basic ... Yes edition wars go back that far ... lol.) Magic the Gathering is now the game of choice and 5th Edition D&D a second. A lot has changed in game book design and editing too.

I wanted something that didn't sacrifice detail, but remained as rules light as OD&D. I wanted a book that would be easy for a new-coming gamer to look at and understand without having to flip through multiple volumes. Like it or not, OD&D's editing is less than ideal for someone from this decade to have patience with. Now, I don't know if my book of rules, Swords & Wizardry - Northwind, has the best editing - I'm inclined to say, no it doesn't - but I tried to keep everything together in character creation, which is what directly concerns players. If fact, I have developed a Players Book pdf that only has rules for character creation in it. (One of these days I ought to create bookmarks for the pdfs ...)

The simplification of combat also appeals to me through the Basic Hit Bonus mechanic. My eyes aren't as good as they used to be, and cross referencing charts is a pain for me.

So, what's left? Play a different game?

Swords & Wizardry is OD&D house-ruled and edited for ease of use.

As I said, play what you like.

No comments:

Post a Comment